Attention Candidates Filing for Office
Our office will issue candidate nomination materials in-person and via email during regular business hours. If a candidate elects to receive the candidate documents via email, the candidate must provide written request to receive the materials in that manner. Before issuing candidate documents, our office will follow standard procedures and guidelines, such as verification of eligibility for the office sought and collecting the appropriate filing fee. All materials that require an oath by the candidate must be executed in the presence of a notary or at the office of the Registrar of Voters. All documents must be submitted to the Registrar of Voters office by the May 6th, 5:00 PM deadline.
All candidates must make an appointment for either in person or via an online video conference. No walk-ins will be accepted.
To submit the original documents, the candidate must submit those documents to our office during available business hours, by appointment only.
Qualifications for each Office
For qualifications for the 18th Assembly District, please visit the Secretary of State's Website.
Steps to Become a Candidate:
The following are standard Candidate Filing steps for a candidate to complete.
- Pick up Signature-in-Lieu of Filing Fee Petitions (Not required): The process of circulating petitions to obtain signatures to offset the Filing Fee. The Filing Fee may be partially or entirely offset by this process. The number of Signatures-in-Lieu required to offset a candidate’s Filing Fee is listed in the Candidate Guide. The petitions are public record.
- Candidate Authorization Form: If you are unable to obtain/file papers for yourself, you may authorize a representative to do so on your behalf. Fill out, sign, and have your representative bring in the Candidate Authoriztion Form with them when they pick up your paperwork.
- Candidate Filing Appointments: Schedule an appointment to receive filing papers and discuss options with one of our candidate services representatives. Walk-ins are welcome, but there may be a long wait. Appointments are highly recommended.
- Prepare for Filing: After reviewing the Candidate Guide, some items should be created or carefully thought through. Campaign Email, Ballot Designation, Campaign Finances, and Website. Having these items taken care of before the initial appointment will expedite the process. Filing Fees must be paid at the time of pulling nomination papers.
- Plan your trip to Oakland: The Registrar of Voters' Office is located two blocks from Lake Merritt BART station. There are several parking lots located within a three block radius of our office, as well as plenty of metered street parking. For directions, please click here.
- Schedule Follow Up Appointment: The filing process is a fluid process and may require more than one filing appointment.
If at any time you have any questions, please feel free to contact Candidate Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 272-6960.